Capstone project

Improved oil filter design

We set out to achieve several objectives, among which was extending the life of ordinary lube oil. decrease the frequency of oil changes, and lower the costs to the consumer. Oil changes are made necessary due to particulate matter in the oil. If this matter could be removed, the frequency of oil changes would decrease. This is what we set out to achieve. To achieve these objectives an oil filter was designed. Incorporating a series of strainers that more finely filters was the first design addition. Finding the correct amount of filter area with an acceptable amount to pressure loss was our first priority. Algor and FEA programs were used to determine size, shape, and strength of design. The most important design characteristic was the ·size and fitting of our filter. Our filter's size was modeled after existing oil filters. As was the method of attaching the filter to the car engine. These design characteristics resulted in a working model, as our calculations show. According to our computer modeling flow patterns, pressure differences, and the size of the design are reasonable and can be used. In short, it is possible to extent to the life of regular motor oil. Modifying existing oil filtration system results in longer life, less oil changes, and reduced costs. The need for this design and what the design seeks to achieve can be found in the Problem Background section of this report. The feasibility of the design and its effectiveness are located in the Conclusion and Results sections. In the Assumptions section resides a list of assumptions that were made and why they were made. Complete cost breakdown of each design phase and total cost has been tabulated. The Economic Analysis section is broken down into subsections, each one covering a phase. The Technical Approach section also has a brief economic analysis.

Items